While researching for places to catch Arctic grayling in Utah, I made a list some of the best known lakes in the High Uinta’s that have grayling.
The table below shows lakes where grayling have been recently caught. The table also includes the trailhead, county, trailhead elevation, lake elevation, round trip in miles, size and depth of each lake and the last year (I could find) that someone claimed to catch grayling.
We caught grayling in Marjorie Lake in 2013, but did not catch them in Weir Lake (Read post).
Other reports came from talking with other fishermen and from fishing reports and forums.
High Uinta Lakes with Recent Reports of Arctic Grayling
|Lake||Trailhead||County||Trailhead Elev. (ft)||Lake Elev. (ft)||Round Trip (miles)||Acres||Depth (ft)||Recent Report|
|Big Dog||Moon Lake||Duchesne||8,235||10,117||16||6||12||record|
|Hayden Fork -Steam||Hwy 150||Summit||2013|
The information about Big Dog Lake is not recent, but is included because that is where the Utah State record grayling (1 lb 12 oz) was caught in 1998. These are the most common lakes, where most people report catching grayling, but these are only a few of the lakes and streams in Utah with grayling. Arctic grayling can also be found in southern and central Utah.
Any new information would be appreciated and will be used to update the table.
I hope this information helps you plan your next fishing trip.
Resource for Information on Hiking and Fishing the Lakes of the High Uintas
Type “Lakes of the High Uintas” In the Search Bar. There are 38 titles listed, but look for the titles with a small link icon.
The above link used to allow you to download the following UDWR publications as pdf files:
(I have left the link for now, but all the document links to the UDWR website appear to be broken. I have downloaded copies that I will make available soon. These documents are valuable historical resources and the State of Utah should do a better job of archiving the documents. Since it is obvious the State can’t maintain links on the website, I will take care of it.)
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Ashley Creek drainage
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Provo & Weber River drainages
- Lakes of the high Uintas : Provo & Weber River drainages Rev. ed., 1999.
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Bear River & Blacks Fork drainage
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Smiths Fork, Henrys Fork and Beaver Creek drainage
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Whiterocks River drainage
- Lakes of the High Uintas: Duchesne River drainage
- Lakes of the high Uintas: Yellowstone, Lake Fork & Swift Creek drainages
- Lakes of the high Uintas: Sheep Creek, Carter Creek & Burnt Fork drainages
- Lakes of the high Uintas: Dry Gulch & Uinta River drainages
- Lakes of the high Uintas: Rock Creek drainage